EEA family permits

Who may apply for this permit?

This permit is aimed at an non-EEA national who wishes to travel with their EEA national family member or join them in the UK.

What are the requirements for the EEA family permit?

  • You are a national of an non-EEA country;
  • Your family member is an EEA national (except British);
  • You are the family member of an EEA national – husband, wife civil or unmarried partner, parent grandparent, daughter or grandchild; or
  • You are an extended family member of an EEA national – brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin; or
  • You are main carer of British citizen, or an EEA national child;
  • You are travelling with your EEA national family member to the UK;
  • If EEA national family member has lived in the UK for over 3months, proof that they are exercising Treaty rights (worker, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient, looking for work).

EEA family permit validity

This permit is valid for 6 months, which is a multiple-entry visa and before the 6-month permit expires, you may need to apply for an EEA residence card to confirm right of residence in the UK.