EEA Permanent Residence cards
Who may apply for this card?
This card is aimed at a family member of an EEA national in the UK who has lived in the UK continuously for 5 years and wishes to apply for EEA permanent residence card.
What are the requirements for the EEA permanent residence card?
- 5 years residing in UK with EEA family member continuously;
- In each year, not been absent from the UK for more than 6 months;
- EEA national exercising Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person, student or self-sufficient for 5 years continuously.
Permanent Residence card on the basis of retained rights of residence
Non-EEA national can retain a right of permanent residence if they can demonstrate:
- Lived in the UK continuously for 5 years;
- For the whole of the 5 year period, can show that you are a family member who has retained right of residence.
Permanent Residence card validity
Permanent Residence card are either endorsed in your passport or produced a separate document. This card is valid for 10 years, and after this period it will need to be renewed. It does not need to be renewed if you become naturalised as a British Citizen.