UK Fiance(e)s or proposed civil partner visa

Who may apply for an unmarried partner visa?

This visa is aimed at an anyone who is engaged to a British citizen or holder of indefinite leave to remain/permanent residence who wishes to join their fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. Applications for this visa must be made outside the UK.

What are the requirements for a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa?

  • Your partner must be a British Citizen or hold Indefinite Leave to Remain/ Permanent Residence;
  • You and your partner need to be 18 or over;
  • You must not be in the UK illegally;
  • You are both permitted to marry or enter in to a civil partnership and have met in person beforehand;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you wish to live in the UK together permanently;
  • You wish to marry or enter in to a civil partnership 6 months in to being granted entry clearance to the UK;
  • If there were any earlier relationships, this must have been permanently broken down;
  • Adequate knowledge of the English language;
  • There is suitable accommodation for yourself and any dependents (children);
  • Good criminal record and immigration history

Your fiancé(e)/civil partner (or both you and your fiancé(e)/civil partner if you are already in the UK with leave to remain) must be able to meet the financial requirements as you need to be adequately maintained without recourse to public funds, this consists of:

  • Gross annual income of £18,600; plus
  • £3,800 for a first child; plus
  • £2,400 for each additional child

What counts as income?

  • income from employment before tax and National Insurance (P60 and payslips);
  • income from self-employment or as director of a limited company in the UK – Self Assessment tax return;
  • cash savings above £16,000;
  • pension money;
  • non-employment income – from property rentals or dividends.

Entry clearance as an fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner

If your initial application is successful, you will be granted entry clearance as an fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner and your visa will be valid for 6 months to enable you to register your marriage in the UK.

Leave to Remain in the UK as an fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner

After the wedding ceremony or civil partnership has taken place before your initial visa expiry, you can apply to switch in to the Spouse and Civil Partner without the need to leave the UK.

Settlement in the UK as an unmarried Partner

You can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK after spending 5 years in the UK as the partner of a British Citizen or settled person.

In addition to the above general requirements, you will also need to show:

  • From the date you entered the UK under this visa category, you have lived with your partner in the UK;
  • Must meet the English Language requirement and have passed the Life in the UK test
[wpforms id=”1569″ title=”false” description=”false”]