British Citizenship by Registration
Who may apply for this?
Registration as a British citizen will permit you or your family member to apply for a British passport and allow a right to enter and reside in the UK free of any immigration restrictions.
Eligibility for registration as a British Citizen by entitlement
Automatic entitlement to be registered as a British Citizen if you:
- British national and can prove that you do not have any other citizenship or nationality;
- Born before 1983 to a British mother;
- Born before 1 July 2006 to a British father;
- Born in the UK after 1983 and 1 of your parent was a British citizen or settled here at the time;
- Born in the UK after 1983 and neither of your parents was a British citizen or settled at the time – you must be 10 years or older, have lived in the UK until you were 10 or older and not been away from the UK for more than 90 days in each of the first 10 years of your life;
- You are a child under 18 years and born or adopted outside of the UK and the parent is a British citizen;
- You are of good character.
Eligibility for registration as a British Citizen by discretion
May be registered as a British citizen at the discretion of the Secretary of State for the Home Department if:
- Application to be registered as a British citizen is made before your 18th birthday or after your 10th birthday;
- You are of good character