Family Visas | Advantage Solicitors



Family Visas


Family visas.If you’re living outside of the UK and have spouse, partner, fiancé, child, parent or relative who’ll provide long-term care for you which live in the UK, you might be able to apply for a family visa. There are certain ways to apply for a Family Visa. You can apply on the basis that:

• Spouse, partner visa

Under the UK Family Visa, spouses are eligible to remain in the UK for up to 2.5 years. After this time, you can apply for a further extension, which will take you to a total of 5 years remaining in the UK.

In order to apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to satisfy the conditions set out. Firstly, both yourself and your partner have to be 18 or over. Your partner must also either: be a British or Irish citizen, have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence. Or be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have presettled status, meaning they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021.

Additionally, you must verify have a Turkish Business person visa or Turkish Worker visa. Or have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK. You and your partner must also intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply. In cases where your partner has, settled or pre-settled status you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme.

You must be able to prove that you are in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognized in the UK. That you have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply. That you are a fiancé or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving. In addition, you will also have to provide evidence that you have good knowledge of English, and can financially support yourself and your dependents.

In the instance you do not meet these requirements you may still be able to apply for a visa or extend your permission to stay if you have a child in the UK, who is a British or Irish citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years and it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK. As there would be very significant difficulties for you and your partner that could not be overcome if you lived together as a couple outside the UK since it would breach your human rights to stop you coming to the UK or make you leave.

• Fiancé, partner

In circumstances where you are applying as a fiancé or proposed civil partner, you must prove that any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended. And that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK. You will not be able to work during your engagement.

At Advantage Solicitors we are a dedicated team of lawyers, here to provide you with a resolution to your legal matters. Please get in touch on our contact telephone number 0208 807 1676 or alternatively email:

WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
Our legal support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!