UK Student Visa | Advantage Solicitors



UK Student Visa

UK Student Visa

UK Student Visa.You can apply for a student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and can fulfil the following requirements;
a. Have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
b. Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (this amount varies depending on your circumstances).
c. You must be able to speak, read, write and understand English
d. Have consent from your parents if you are 16 or 17 and evidence of this must be provided.

When can you apply for a student ?

The time that you can apply will always depend on whether you are applying from inside the UK or outside the UK. If you are applying from outside the UK, the earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course. A decision on your application is usually made within 3 weeks. Alternatively, if you are applying from inside the UK the earliest time you can apply is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires and the new course you intend to apply for much begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. Application made inside the country usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

How long are you permitted to stay in the UK as a student?

The length of your stay always depends on the length of your course of study and what studies you have already completed in the UK. However, some indications are if you are 18 years or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. However, if your course of study is below a degree level then you can stay in the UK for up to 2 years. Please do not hesitate in contacting us to obtain detailed advice on the permitted length of your stay.

Staying longer in the UK

There are various other options available for those students who intend to stay in the UK beyond their initial course of study. The first option is to extend your visa if you are eligible to do so, for example if you need to continue with your studies in the UK. Secondly you have the option of switching from a visa status to a student visa if you are already remaining in the UK under a legal status. The last option is that you can switch to a graduate visa to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing your course.

When you can travel to the UK?

As a student you are permitted to travel to the UK before your course starts. However, this can be either up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less and up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months. However, any travel to the UK before the start date of your given visa is not permitted regardless of the start date of your course.

The Student Visa fees

The cost of the visa fee for a student visa outside the UK is £363. However, if you wish to apply to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK the cost is £490. Please also bear in mind that there will also be a healthcare surcharge to be paid. This can be calculated by using the following link Healthcare Surcharge

What you can and cannot do in the UK as a student ?

As a student in the UK you can study and work. However how much you can work depends on what you are studying and whether you are working in or out of term time. As a student visa holder you will not be allowed to claim public benefits and pensions and cannot study in an academy or a local authority funded school. The details of what you can and cannot do will be provided to you upon a successful student visa application.

At Advantage Solicitors we are a dedicated team of lawyers, here to provide you with a resolution to your legal matters. If you are a student and wish to study in the UK, regardless of whether you are inside or outside the UK please get in touch on contact telephone number 0208 807 1676.

Call us on 0208 807 16 76

Our legal team is waiting for your call right now

Start Student Visa With Us

Fill our easy form and our solicitors will back to you shortly