Persons with UK Ancestry visa
Who may apply for this visa?
This visa is aimed at a person who is a Commonwealth citizen living overseas and is able to demonstrate that one of the grandparents was born in the UK. If the visa is granted, you may be permitted to live and work in the UK due to the fact of UK Ancestry. Your dependent family members may also be able to join you.
What are the requirements for the UK Ancestry visa?
You must prove:
- You are a Commonwealth citizen;
- You are 17 years or over;
- You are able to show proof that one of your grandparents was born in either the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, British registered ship or aircraft;
- The grandparent is related to you by blood or they are your grandparents due to you being adopted;
- You can work and wish to either work as an employee or self-employment in the UK;
- Sufficiently able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants without relying on public funds.
You will be granted leave to enter the UK for up to 5 years if your application on the basis of UK Ancestry is successful.
Settlement as a UK ancestry visa –Indefinite leave to remain
- Continuous 5 years spent lawfully in the UK;
- In the 5 years you have been in the UK, in each of these years you have not spent more than 180 days outside of the UK;
- Since your leave to enter the UK was granted, in this period you took up employment, were seeking employment or self-employed;
- You have demonstrated adequate knowledge of the English language and life in the UK test.